First off, the first few weeks since my book’s been out and it’s been a mixed bag of good and bad. The good? My book is out there, being read and some people really like it. Can’t tell you how happy it makes me feel when somebody writes a genuine good review. Everything seems so worth it at that point. I read a review like that and I can’t stop grinning for the rest of the day. I know, I shouldn’t let it affect me like this but I just can’t seem to help it!! The bad? Some people don’t like it. Like, at all. I won’t lie to you. It really broke my heart the first time I read a one star review. Like bawled my eyes, used a box of tissues kind. But then. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, right? Also, this is my first novel. There are bound to be mistakes. Okay, let’s just leave it at that. I’m still a bit raw! Still coping.
Okay. Designing my own book cover.
1) I started out by using Paint.net. But then I realized the limited features. I wish I had Photoshop, I’ve used it before and I really like it. But for my personal use, I can’t afford it at this point. So, I settled on GIMP. It’s free and if you have a little knowledge of how to use it, itz exzeeelent!
2) I picked out a picture from Shutterstock. One which fitted my story line. I know it’s a little OTT for the New Adult genre but I kinda fell in love with it. You see, it ‘spoke’ to me. 🙂 Not to mention, it also covers a steamy scene between my protagonists.
3) I fiddled with the various effects on GIMP. This took long. Very long. Like two whole days. I don’t know how to describe this process. I tweaked the saturation, the picture curves, meddled with the other senseless names on this crazy-ass software. Once I was satisfied and was ready to drill a hole in my skull, I moved on to the next stage.
4) Fonts – I selected two different fonts for my title and for my name. I didn’t stick with the usual fonts prescribed by book designers, like League Gothic and all, I used ones which I felt were attention-grabbing and which would look good in a thumbnail.
5) I sent a quick prayer to the heavens above and published it.
So, do you like my cover image? Please, say yes! 🙂
And hey, anyone out there wanting some help with their cover…I’d be more than happy to help. Just email me your selected image and blurb (to get an idea about your story-line) and I’ll fix it up for you! This is my good deed for the month. 🙂
PS-Also wanted to share these two awesome songs that have been on auto-play since yesterday. 🙂 HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE!